In 1931, Elizabeth McLeod, Head of the Art Department at the Ladies’ College at Mount Allison University, organized a guild for art students to sell their work. The Art Department and the guild were housed within the Owens Art Gallery at Mount Allison University. The guild soon became a ‘co-operating institution’ affiliated with the Canadian Handicrafts Guild.
Excerpted from Fall/Winter 2015 Ornamentum. Click here to subscribe.
Jane Tisdale is Fine Arts Conservator/Exhibition Curator at Owens Art Gallery, Mount Allison University, in Sackville, New Brunswick.
This roll of labels was recently displayed in the exhibition
All Things Useful and Artistic- Applied Arts at Mount Allison University 1906-1960 at the Owens Art Gallery in Sackville, NB.
Each individual label is 3 x 7cm, with gold embroidery thread on burgundy taffeta ribbon. A woven item with one of these labels sewn onto it has never been found.
Photograph: Jane Tisdale